There is an African proverb which says “if you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far, go together”. I like this and assume there is another proverb that says “when you want to go far, choose wisely who you travel with”.
I’m sure many of us have heard a version of the saying that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with – family, friends, colleagues, etc. I doubt I am alone in realising that at times in my life, I’ve given the most time to people who don’t inspire me, encourage me, or build me up. I rarely understand why or notice it in the midst of doing it but see it upon reflection.
The world is full of great people. I’ve been lucky to find some and want to give a shout out to some great people who’ve been helping me to ‘go far’ recently:
- Bernadette Jiwa – her blog is inspirational every day
- “The Right Company” which brings incredible people from all over the world together
- Sue Heatherington and her The Quiet Disruptors community
- The Mad Baker aka Mark Dyck
- Seth Godin and his generous blog, podcast, and books
- Tim Arnold’s work around healthy tension