- How many people visited my site?
- How many facebook friends do I have?
- How many followers do I have?
- How many customers do I have?
- How many people am I influencing?
- Is anyone reading my blog?
- If you can’t ‘gram it, it didn’t happen
We are obsessed with numbers. We equate numbers with success, so we buy followers. We create campaigns to increase our followers. We allocate our resources to gain new customers and not to keep our existing ones.
Our numerical obsession has become deeply connected with our identity so much so that we equate having followers with existing. Even though it is said that humans can meaningful only engage or ‘know’ 150 people at one time, we continually seek more and the new. Quality and meaningfulness has diminished in importance.
In the search for numbers, for more, we risk losing ourselves and who we want to be.